Thursday, October 05, 2006

MUSIK AND PHYSICS

I eat music, I drink music. In short, I live music .I listen to some lively music while studying. However, as my chemistry teacher says, Life’s not that easy. I have a musically trained ear, which is vulnerable to the minutest change in frequency.
My study place is evidently equipped with more techy junk than books .One among them, is a table fan, a 100 watt one. Its rotation produces a buzz, quite pleasant to hear. But, there’s a fix. The motion is confined to a certain pitch, somewhere between C# and D.
Because of my cursed ear, it is difficult for me to analyze the right frequency of the song-
There are a number of technicalities. The Music, in fact, sounds more of a cacophony. This Hotchpotch of atonal sounds makes me breathe fire out of my ears (the earwax melts, giving out an odd concoction of burnt hair and a chocolate-like liquid).

Accidents do happen: Eventually, I discovered one song- ‘Let it out’ (by Hoobastank), whose pitch matches that of the table fan. However, on scrutiny, I soon discovered that the pitches differed by a seemingly differential amount. In fact, the two sound waves, superposed each other, forming beats, a phenomenon that occurs when there are two sound waves of slightly different frequencies.This increased the song’s bass, increasing its sound significantly.
This may be one reason that prevents me from hearing the mosquitone perfectly, of course, I can hear the normal and the super mosquitone, but I get a nauseatic sensation, when I listen to it. My math lecturer, a highly techy individual , claims that his dog runs to this ‘laboratory’ , when he puts on the mosquitone ,to check if he can hear it ...of course , that is another face of the coin .

However, this was good only until the power supply was good enough. When there was a low voltage, the fan’s pitch decreased. According to ohm’s law, potential difference across a circuit is proportional to the current flowing through it, and correspondingly, by Fleming and Faraday’s theories, the fan’s angular velocity and hence, its pitch, decreased.
My joy seemed to be short lived, but I’m still looking for an efficacious cure for this pitch trouble. I can’t use a sound forge or a wave lab to set things right: I may well be an amateur musician, but when pitch comes to play, the ball is far from my court.
At one point of time, I thought listening to music was infectious to my studies.
So , I gave up thinking!!!

No comments: